EDITING YOUR MANUSCRIPT
We provide no editing service and recommend you edit and re-edit your manuscript as best you can. If necessary, you may wish to consider looking locally for someone to assist. Bear in mind professional book editors don't come cheap.
SCANNING AND OPTICAL CHARACTER READING
If your manuscript comes to us in hardcopy, it must be typewriter or computer generated. Use standard font. It is preferred you use only one space between sentences. We will scan your pages and process them with an Optical Character Reader(OCR) in preparation for publishing. Next we must do a line-by-line check of the pages to correct imperfections resulting from the scanning and OCR process. This does not include grammatical changes or content alterations.
If necessary we will key in your handwritten manuscript at a cost of $.02 per word. (Scanning and OCR will not be required).
Our price for Scanning, OCR, and line check is $1.00 (CDN) per 250 word page.
NOTE: You may avoid the above charges by preparing the manuscript yourself and submitting it on computer disk or via E-mail in a pre-approved format.
TYPESETTING, DESIGN AND FORMATTING
This entails the setting up of the publishing program to your specifications. Your pages are entered and sized, margins established, and headers and footers applied along with page numbering. Consideration is given at this time for photograph and graphic insertions.
Setup and Design is charged out at a flat rate of $22.00 (CDN) per hour.
SCANNING AND INSERTING PHOTOGRAPHS
Scanning and retouching of photographs is provided at a cost of $10.00 (CDN) each. Extensive retouching will be charged out at $22.00 (CDN) per hour. All retouching is done subject to your approval.
Formatting and insertion of photographs and graphics is charged at a flat rate of $22.00 (CDN) per hour.
Originals of your photographs and graphics will not be altered and will be returned to you.
We will design your book cover to your specifications using either scanned photographs or graphics, and/or text.
Covers are printed in black and white on 80# card stock. Various colours of stock are available.
Colour printing for covers is available, but considerably more expensive.
Back cover may contain author's photograph and bio if requested.
We will design your title pages to include all appropriate information such as Copyright, ISBN, credits, dedications, and contents.
As author of your work, your manuscript is automatically covered by legal copyright. We will insert the appropriate copyright warning on the back of the title page.
INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BOOK NUMBER
If requested, we will acquire an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) on your behalf and print the ISBN on the back of the title page.
Our fee for acquisition of your ISBN is $25.00 (CDN).
Printing is done digitally using a commercial grade laser printing system producing a high quality product. We use 20# acid-free paper.
Cost for printing is based on size of page and words per page. Ask for a quote.
BOOK BINDING EXAMPLES
- STAPLED BINDING: This type of book is usually created using 8½ X 11 paper folded in half and the stapled in the middle with an 80# card stock cover. Suitable for books up to 40 pages, 10 sheets of 8½ X 11 folded and printed on both sides. Works well for chap books, short stories, and poetry. This is the least expensive.
- PLASTIC COMB BINDING: This type of book is created using 8½ X 11 paper and cut down to size if necessary. Pages printed on both sides with an 80# card stock cover (Cover may be upgraded). Pages are punched and bound with coloured plastic combs up to one inch thick. Good for family histories and short story or poetry collections. Slightly more expensive.
- STAPLE & TAPE BINDING: This type of book is created using 8½ X 11 paper and cut down to size if necessary. Pages printed on both sides with an 80# card stock cover (Cover may be upgraded). Pages are first stapled and then a plastic tape applied to cover staples. Good for family histories and short story or poetry collections. Slightly more expensive.
- PERFECT BINDING: This type of book is roughly 5" X 8" and ½" or thinner. Pages printed on both sides with an 52# gloss or matte color cover (Cover may be downgraded). Pages are first stapled and then the cover is shaped, glued, and pressure bound to create a professional product. Good for novelettes and short novels. The process is labour intensive and expensive.
- You will be provided a galley copy of your book for your final proof reading prior to book being produced.
- You are responsible for acquiring permissions and providing acknowledgments for any copyrighted materials used in your book.
- By The Lake Publishing bears no responsibity for the promotion, distribution, or sales of your book.
- REMEMBER, we handle small press runs only. Depending on the size and design of the book, that can be anywhere from one to one-hundred copies.
- All fees quoted above are in Canadian dollars and subject to change.